The Hang Tien Endeavor is a great combination of jungle trekking, caving, and outdoor camping adventure. As the largest cave in Tu Lan cave system, Hang Tien is famed for its enormous size and spectacular formations.
Our guide will bring you into depths of Vietnamese jungle where the lost world of ancient rock configurations can be found dripping from the ceilings, and spending a night under a net of a thousand stars is truly a unique chance to enjoy the real wilderness of this country.
With formations rising up like a layer cake of rimstone pools and lush ferns, Hang Tien, or “Fairy Cave”, is truly a unique specimen. Highlights of the tour include gour pools, swimming in lakes within a cave, a natural lagoon pool, and cave side waterfalls.
Day 1: Phong Nha – Tan Hoa – Hang Ruc
- Your first day begins in Dong Hoi with pickup from your local hotel around 7:30 – 8:00 am.
- From 8:00 – 9:30 am, you’ll make your way to Oxalis’s Tan Hoa office, where you will learn all about safety measures collect your gear and sign our Release Form before departure at 10:30 am. The first part of the walk is tricky with 1 hour trekking uphill and then a hike down alongside the river.
- You will make a stop for lunch at around 13:00 – 13:30 pm. At 14:00 pm, you’ll cross the river, and then follow the path to Hang Ruc. Here you’ll find a pretty stream cave with short swims and flowstone cascades.
- Around 16:00 pm, make your way out of Hang Ruc and trek upriver to the campsite. Camp is located next to a beautiful natural jungle pool. Here you’ll be able to enjoy a refreshing swim and time to take some great photos before the sun goes down. While you set up camp, the porters will grill up a fulfilling BBQ dinner for you to gain energy for your upcoming exploration of Hang Tien 1 and Hang Tien 2 the following day.
Day 2: Hang Tien 1 – Hang Tien 2 – Tan Hoa – Phong Nha
- Wake up in your jungle campsite to breakfast prepared bright and early by the porter team. After enjoying your breakfast, you’ll need to climb over a field of boulders before being greeted by the sight of Hang Tien 1 around 9:00 am.
- Within Hang Tien 1, about 50 m inside the entrance, lays a large chamber where the ceiling is beautifully patterned. The cave has two sections, one on the right side which goes deep down, and we will pass on the left hand side with many gour pools. Pushing forward, the tour will continue through most of Hang Tien 1 and up a ladder, from which the exit of Hang Tien 1 will be visible. The exit will be reached around 11:00 am.
- Trek through the jungle for thirty minutes and at 11:30 am, you’ll head back into the subterranean world known as Hang Tien 2. Here you’ll find many formations, and you’ll trek about 300 m into the cave, before making your way out, back through the exit of Hang Tien 1.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch.
- The next couple hours will be filled with your return trek to the road, where cold drinks will await you.
- Arrive back at the office around 16:00 pm, where you’ll have time to shower and change into fresh clothes before heading back to Dong Hoi. The endeavor will end at 18:30 pm in Dong Hoi.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag, sleeping mat
- Caving & Safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside the (light PVC) backpack
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: Picnic lunch (Day 1 & 2), Breakfast (Day 2), Dinner (Day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gears and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phone and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras) depending on water level
- Water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well
- 1 pair of flip-flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2 – 3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
Our Hang Tien Endeavor is available with weekly departures on Monday, Wednesday, Friday on a join-in basis (minimum 2 pax). It is advised to book in advance as this is a popular tour and the number of guest is limited.
This tour is operated from mid November to mid September (closed from September to October).
Price: USD289/person (=VND6.500.000) ***
*** THE ABOVE PRICING IS FOR PICK UP IN PHONG NHA VILLAGE, IF GUEST IS STAYING IN DONG HOI THERE IS AN EXTRA CHARGE OF USD26/person (VND600.000/person)